This afternoon I was on the phone with my mom telling her about all the "episodes" Peyton and I had today. (And by episodes I mean all the crazy *#%@ that happens throughout the day...that generally comes with having a toddler.) She says to me, "You need to write a blog! That (the story I had just told her) is really funny! And maybe you will have less anxiety about things if you write them down!" So I thought to myself...YES! I can write a blog! So here is my first try. I can't make any promises that I will write them weekly or even monthly but I am sure going to make an effort! Who knows it may make me feel better during the awesome anxiety bouts that I tend to have. If anything I hope it gives everyone a good laugh every once in a while!
Our day started as usual today, Peyton woke up around 6:30, I tried to get him to fall back asleep with Brandon and me, and after laying still for about 5 minutes he started whispering "wake up". With not much response with whispering he starting talking...then came the yell, "WAKE UP!" Brandon pops up saying, "Why am I even making an effort? Peyton lets go!" I won't bore you with every detail of the morning so I'll jump right to the fun stuff.
I had today off so I decided it would be totally fun to take Peyton over to Buttermilk to go skiing. I got everything ready and organized so it would be easy once we got over there (Buttermilk Mountain is only 2 miles from our house) I got myself then Peyton dressed and with my spare time I got him PUMPED to go skiing! We drove over and were sadly told that we weren't able to park there for the rest of the week because of Winter X Games. SERIOUSLY?! I have lived here for almost 8 years and didn't know you couldn't park at Buttermilk the week of X Games! Duhh! So we drove home and asked Brandon to drop us off, and like the amazing husband/dad he is, he did.
We got there, unloaded our skis and Peyton and I were on our way! Or were we? Once we got over to the beginner chair, or should I say where the beginner chair is suppose to be, I noticed it wasn't there and in place were huge mounds of snow! DAMN X GAMES! Yes, again I should have known! There was no access to the beginner lifts while X Games were going on. A friendly ski instructor said I could go to the top of the mountain and there was a little beginner area set up with a rope tow and everything. I looked at Peyton and said, "Booboo, we are going big today!" We got on the chair safe and sound...until I pulled the bar down on Peyton's leg! Boy did he scream! And then he was scared. I thought to myself, I hope this day ends up better than it's starting! I calmed him down once we got about 3/4 of the way up. Once we were there he was totally fine! He also blew my mind with how he was skiing!
Now comes the best part of the day! We went down the little beginner trail they had set up, Peyton was screaming WEEEEEEEEEE the whole way down (which was about 20 yards). It was music to my ears. The rope tow that was set up was pretty cool. Nothing like the "make your arms fall off" rope tow at Kents Hill! There was a nice little wedge to hold on to while you got pulled up. The challenging thing was to do it with a little man between your legs (wow that sounds really bad...told you I hope to make you laugh). So I had Peyton between my legs holding him with one arm while using my other arm to hold onto the wedge as we get pulled up the longest 20 yards of my life! It was a great arm workout! The second time we went down I was going down backwards, facing Peyton and he was actually balancing and skiing to me! I wanted to cry, it was amazing! After the third time down we went and got some water and a snack bar...and then the meltdown started!
I have no stinking clue where it came from or why but Peyton was beyond not happy! So with him screaming bloody murder I put his skis back on and started carrying him down the mountain. Yea, that lasted about 45 seconds. I put him down and told him he needs to be a big boy and started skiing down with him between my legs...SCREAMING! To try to get him to cheer up I said, "lets go ski some powder!!!!" And we did...and he LOVED IT!! Again...amazing! Until I realized I WAS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Not cool. I was on the west side of Buttermilk...where you cannot access the main side. You can only imagine what I was thinking. We get down to the lift and I say to the lifty...as he is taking my son from me..."can I get to the bottom from here?" He says, "no, do you know the mountain at all?" NO DIP-WEED if I knew the mountain I wouldn't be standing here freaking out because I want to be on the other side! Backtrack...he took Peyton because we aren't allowed to go through the silly pass scanners together so that fired me up a little more. Luckily on the way up Peyton was happy and laughing.
By the way this whole time Brandon is waiting for us at the bottom with rent-a-cops giving him the stink eye because they don't want him there. He was also on a time crunch to drive Ms. Daisy (his boss) to a lunch in town. Ok...where was I....we get to the top and I think, maybe we can download and take the chair down?" NOT! it was a 20 yard hike just to get to the chair. So I carry poor Peyton the entire way down the mountain, passing 2 ski patrollers who aren't the least bit concerned that I am carrying a child down a mountain...or why I was doing it. We get to the bottom safe and sound...minus my arms falling off.
My knight in shinning armour is waiting for us in the parking lot and we go home, eat lunch, and take a nap. We started the afternoon fresh and aside from not getting my child to the potty on time, having him pee all over the bathroom floor (yes it was my fault and not his because I dilly-dallied putting his little seat on the toilet) and not being able to feel my arms we had a great afternoon/night.
Made me laugh! It is nice to hear the struggles of other parents because we have all been there in one way or another!!! I have yet to take my kids skiing, I don't think I can take them both by myself and billy has a bad back:( maybe someday I will be able to sell someone on how much fun it will be and sucker them into going with us! Until then sledding is our winter "sport" :)
ReplyDelete